Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Shred some Foam - Homemade Skimboards.

My nephews are into all kinds of sports and in turn like to decorate their room as such. Well, one of the things they are into is skimboarding. When I was a kid down in Homestead we used to make our own out of plywood, so when their mom asked me if I'd do some custom paint on a couple she bought I figured I'd do better and make them.

So here's the deal, since they're going on the wall you want to use luan plywood, thin and light. The quickest way to get your template? We bought a skimboard, traced the outline on the luan, and of course returned the skimboard. Hey, sometimes it pays to be lazy!


Jigsaw works just fine on these.



For the tail I used a scroll saw. You can use the jigsaw just as easy, but I've got a scroll saw and wanted to play a little.


You want to be as close as possible to your line, but don't worry if it's a little wavy, luan sands real easy so you can knock those out.


I started out using the airbrush, but that became too time consuming.


So I opted for the good old original, spray paint.


The finished projects focused around their names. I then painted and drew in various surf brand names and symbols to try and make them look authentic.
The boys seemed pretty stoked (I think they still use that) and they should look good hanging on the wall. The boards that is.

1 comment:

  1. When looking for a skimboard you will need to consider many different things in order to purchase one that is ideally suited to you. With this in mind, consider a few of these basic tips when you are looking to choose something suitable.

    One of the main tips you should always consider is to make sure that you test out a number of different boards before you commit to buying one. While it may be fairly difficult to find shops that will rent skimboards, you may be able to find friends who are willing to lend you theirs for some testing. Try out a number of different ones so that you can get an idea of what might be right for you.
    skimboards

    ReplyDelete