Monday, September 7, 2009

Something Winged This Way Comes

While reviewing the less than desirable debt/equity ratio of Bank of America someone threw something at my window, hard. The someone turned out to be Mother Nature.
The wife and Peanut had just left for a bike ride while Monkey and I stayed home so she could write “I will learn to use self-control” a thousand times (30 times).
Thinking it was one of the two bikers I stood up and looked to see what the missile was. It was covered in feathers and sprawled out perfectly still.
“What was that?” Monkey asked.
“It was a bird.”
“Really?” she said and shot from her seat at the table.
I was hesitant to show her because she is very sensitive when it comes to animals. She has a strange gift when it comes to them. Animals of all kinds are drawn to her, like Saint Francis. The idea of explaining why a kamikaze bird committed suicide on our back porch to a sobbing child is never appealing.
We stepped out the back door to see the small sparrow like bird attempting to move. I scooped him up and was surprised to see such vibrant colors on a sparrow.
“Is it going to be okay?”
“I don’t know sweetie.”
I set it down on a little table on the porch and we looked as it sat kind of funny.
“Can I touch it?”
“Sure sweetie, but be gentle.”
The eight year old stroked the bird so lovingly and said “Get well pretty bird.”
It sat still and I thought for sure there would be a burial, so I decided to get a picture of him.

Shortly after, the wife and Peanut showed up and Monkey was quick to show off her little friend.
“Is it going to make it?” the wife asked.
“I don’t know, I’m shocked it’s still alive.”
After a couple more minutes the bird raised its head, looked around, then sped off into the woods. Later I learn that is was a Kentucky Warbler.
“Wow, didn’t think that was going to be the outcome,” I said.
“I knew he was going to be all right,” Monkey said.
I patted her on the head, “I’m sure you did.”
Such a beautiful creature and a pretty bird too.

No comments:

Post a Comment