Wednesday, December 2, 2009

One Fish, Two Fish, Redfish, Bluefish: The Old Man and the Bay

The jolt through the line was unmistakable.
"Reel it up!" my Dad said.
I cranked on the handled and retrieved a small fish out of the churning olive green water.
My dad held the line in front of me and the fish twisted and flipped on the end of the hook. "That's a littler snapper," he said.
My five year old heart pounded as we stood on the bridge in the Keys and I was hooked.

Thirty some years have passed since that earliest memory of fishing with Dad. There were many trips early on and more fond experiences, but now neither one of us has a boat and it had been a couple of years easy since we last soaked a line together.
My brother and I haven't fished together since double that easily and the three of us probably not since we lived in Homestead together 19 years ago.

So for Dad's 60th I figured what better way to spend it than the three of us on the water again. I got a hold of Capt. Goeff Page and after a laborious schedule matching with my brother and I a date was set.

Of course Dec. 2nd would have to have a 60% chance of rain and wind expected at 30+ mph, but still Capt. Geoff said we could have luck if we get out early. Considering that Capt. Geoff has made quite the name for himself doing what he does I put my faith in his judgment. And it paid off!

We slipped into Joe Bay and it didn't take long to see why Capt. Geoff picked this spot.


First cast and my brother, Chris (AKA Weasel) had a fish to the boat.


And then another.

Dad chipped in with a catfish.

And I with a flounder.


Capt. Geoff was pretty impressed with Chris's hot hand and joked about teaming up for the Redfish Cup.




Chris definitely had the hot hand for the reds.



Dad was the only one putting bluefish in the boat. He landed three or four like this.







Dad and his two sons enjoying the water.





I was a short but productive trip. We probably boated 10 reds, 3-4 blues, 3-4 trout a flounder, and a bunch of other stuff. We lost a bit more. All but one blue were caught on artificials. It should be noted that even though Chris put on a good show it was Dad who caught the slam: catfish, jack, ladyfish. A trash can slam!
Happy Birthday Dad!

No comments:

Post a Comment